Thursday, February 26, 2015
What's Not for Sale?
I have to agree with Sandel that enough is enough when it comes to what should be for sale and what is for sale. Most of the items Sandel listed are things people buy because they are either lazy or impatient. One of the items for sale was to have a person stand in line for you overnight on Capitol Hill so a lobbyist can have their place in line saved for them in the morning and go to the congressional meeting. If you need someone to keep your spot in line for a congressional meeting, then you must not feel so strongly about your cause. However, it did mention that the people saving their spots were homeless, so I guess that makes it a little better, but it is getting closer to buying and selling people. That is getting close to the slavery line. Even though the people are getting paid, it is not like they have any other opinion. If I were homeless and someone said you can make $400 tonight just by saving this person's spot in line for the night, I do not think I could say no. I would need the money. So the idea that they are paying homeless people may sound good to most, in reality they have no better options, which gives it a "slavery" type feel to it. Also, another item for sale is the right to emit a metric ton of carbon into the atmosphere. Basically what this is stating is that it is fine to pollute as long as you have enough money. One of the major problems right now is global warning, but if you make millions, you can contribute to the problem legally. I think that is wrong in every way that people can break the law as long as they have money. I think that is a problem with society and I feel that it should not matter how much you make, laws are laws and people should face the consequences for breaking them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment