Friday, January 30, 2015

Ashley's Rights

I believe that Ashley's rights would have been violated if she was a perfectly capable human being that was able to consciously make the decisions for herself. Just like how people can violate other's rights I believe it is possible for us to violate or own rights especially if we aren't in control of our body or know our rights. From what I understood about the article the surgeries were made to benefit not only the caregiver but Ashley herself. Up to a certain point I believe that depending on your age (this is an idealistic view) you kinda forfeit your rights to your parents. This is a belief made with the hope and assumption that the parents are responsible and truly care about the child. In that case I believe they would do anything they need in order to make sure that their children are safe and healthy. At that young of an age children do know what they want but not always what they need and at such an age what they want may actually be harmful to themselves. only when they are older do they understand the value of a life and how to preserve it. I believe it is at that point that they would be able to make decisions for themselves; however in the article I believe that it says Ashley mind has not grown past the level of a toddler's even if she physically has grown mentally as a human she is still a baby which is why I feel the decision should stay within the parent's hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment